I know it hurts. I know you want to see your child, to hear his voice, to know he is well and happy. You just miss him so terribly bad.
But you cannot.
And the pain is just too much sometimes.
I kind of don’t want to write this post because it covers a topic well outside my personal experience. But, I have been asked about this and I know there are many among the bereaved who do seek to contact their deceased loved ones by engaging the services of mediums, spiritualists, psychics, necromancers and the like.
But I will not. Here’s why:
- God forbids it.
- I refuse to be exploited by someone who is a fake at best and a channel for demonic entities at worst.
- I will not allow someone who engages in this type of wickedness to become part of something as personal and intimate as the loss of our son. I will not have his name bandied about in this manner. I will not allow his memory to become a mockery in the spirit world or a commodity for evil in this one.
- It would be beyond horrifying to hear a demon counterfeiting the voice of our Hans.
- I will not expose myself to or subject my family to the influence of unclean spirits.
- “Feeling better” after being exploited like this would not help me. Allowing myself to be lied to or deceived for the purpose of obtaining false comfort is destructive, not healing.
- I should be focusing on communing with God, not on trying to get Hans back. Why would I ask a demon for questionable information about Hans when I can have the Truth from God – the One Whom Hans is actually with?
- Hans would not want me to.
The argument in favor of engaging the services of a medium usually goes something like this: “I felt so much better afterwards. I know I talked to my deceased loved one. The psychic had very accurate information. She knew things no one else could know.”
This is actually worse than being duped by a skillful confidence predator. I would rather be tricked by a sneaky swindler than be in actual contact with a lying demon. You must ask the question: Where did this inside information come from? Since God forbids this sort of thing, He is not about to give special, private information to people who are profiting by disregarding His Word. So then, from what entity did this information come, if not from God? There is only one other being to consider and that being’s name is Satan.
Satan does not know everything like God does. But he knows plenty. He is around and he is looking for people to destroy. That is what Satan does, and he will use any tool at his disposal. He has no scruples about exploiting and deceiving the crushed heart of a grieving mother. In fact he is delighted to do so.
“Whether the phenomena are evidences of a clever trickster, demonic activity, or the staid and serious pronouncement of the scientific community, the Bible calls all of it an abomination. Deuteronomy 18:9-14 says,
When you enter the land which the Lord your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those who practice witchcraft and to diviners, but as for you, the LORD your God has not allowed you to do so. (emphasis added)
“If the Old Testament saints were commanded not to seek mediums, spiritists, and the like, it’s even more emphatic that clairvoyance has no place in the life of a Christian. A Christian has a personal relationship with the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ, is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and can read and discern the mind of God in the Holy Scriptures.” –John MacArthur, Grace To You: Does the Bible take a position on clairvoyance and parapsychology?
I know you just want to know your child is O.K. I know you would give anything just to have five more minutes with him. Your heart is hurting and you just don’t know how you can bear never hearing his voice again. You know people who have gone to a medium and nothing bad seemed to happen afterwards.
But ignoring the clear command of God is never a good idea.
Please – don’t do it.
For further study: